Sunday, December 1, 2013

Burger: A Santa Cruz Beer Destination




Ah ... Santa Cruz. My hometown.

If you ask most people, they'll tell you that Santa Cruz is part of the Bay Area. I argue, no, it's part of the Monterey Bay area.  For me, that drive through mountains puts enough distance between myself and the rat race that is the Bay to make it feel like it's 500 miles away. A distinct feeling washes over me once I pass Las Gatos and find myself driving through redwood forests. Growing up in Santa Cruz County gave me a certain appreciation for my hometown that I have every time I visit. Hiking through Nisene Marks, surfing in Pleasure Point, or just driving along the coast, I feel more at peace there than I feel anywhere else. Home is indeed where the heart is. And when I do make trips back, I make sure to visit some of my favorite establishments, one such being Burger in Aptos.


Burger, has only been around for about 2 years in Aptos, but it's quickly become one of the most popular hangout spots in the south end of the county due to its layout, menu, excellent service, and incredibly wide and large craft beer selection. What used to the building of an abandoned night club years ago, was converted into a comfortable restaurant and beer tasting room where you can always find locals and people you know. Burger features 40 craft beers on tap from microbreweries all over California (NorCal and SoCal, Bear Republic to Ballast Point), 58 in bottles, and 13 in cans. They also update their draft selection to accommodate for the seasonal beers that the microbreweries put out for the different times of the year.


And yes... they do have some pretty good burgers there as well. One funky little part of their charm is that they name their burgers after celebrities or famous characters from movies. For example, a Chuck Norris is a burger with jalepenos and jack cheese, the Dude features guacamole, bacon and jack cheese, and a Hank Williams has onion rings, cheddar, bacon and barbeque sauce. You get the idea. And instead of table markers with numbers, they give you mugshots of celebrities to identify your order. Instead of hearing "52" you'll hear something more along the lines of "Lindsay Lohan"or "Mel Gibson". 


Okay, it's not the thing you may want to see before a mouth-watering cheeseburger, but it's kind of funny.


 Overall, it's a great place to grab a bite during the evening, watch the 49ers play, or just have a great beer inside near the fireplace or outside on the patio. Every time I come here I know I'm home.

1 comment:

  1. I prefer the Spicoli burger washed down with a Glass of the house's finest lager (and they have plenty) ... Served of course to the table with the Mel Gibson mug shot ... Thanks for the tip .. I enjoyed

    ReplyDelete